Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On Reading & Reviews

I'm sitting here looking at book reviews on Amazon. For those of you who do not know, I started book reviews not long ago.

I read, lots. I read all different kinds of genres, although I don't review everything I read.

I read some Christian fiction because I like the story ideas. I don't read Christian fiction because I'm Christian. If these same story ideas were not written in the Christian genre I would still seek them out.

The one thing I find interesting in reading reviews is that some readers think you have to republish the Bible in the novel. Maybe this is something that is expected? I haven't been reading Christian novels long, I started maybe 6-8 months ago? I guess I'm a "newbie" to it.

I don't mind some scripture while reading fiction, but really it can be overwhelming to the story itself. Especially if it's verse after verse with the version of the Bible listed. I also mind being preached to. Why? Because the author just may have it wrong. They are feeding me their views on the Bible when I can just go pick it up and see what God himself said. I don't need my fiction to feed my reality that way. I don' t need an interrupter.

What I do like about Christian fiction is if there is a story there. A lesson maybe. A bit of hope in an otherwise heartbreaking situation. Yeah, I like that. I love it in any genre.

Make me feel. Make me want more. That's what makes a good book in my view.

A good story without 30 pages of scripture is fine I think. Maybe those reviewers should see if there is a story behind those words. Dig deeper, think longer.

Maybe I have it wrong? Either way, I'll run to my Bible for God's words.

(moved here from my other blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment